One of Lily's wishes is to add good karma to the world in her name. Here's her list of ideas for how to do that. Some of them involve money, others just time.
1. Donate blood. Lily has received blood something like eight times. That means at least eight people who have saved her life without even knowing it. Infant open heart surgery requires two or three transfused units of blood even if the operation goes smoothly. Lily had hers at seven weeks. (And we would especially love to thank everyone who has donated to Lily, even though they'll never know she got it.)
P.S. For the friends in Lily's home town, the blood bank bus will be out at Toyota this week between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and at Kerr McGee on Wednesday, May 16th from 12:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
2. Make an informed decision regarding organ donation... and act on it. Lily has many friends who are alive simply because of selfless acts by many grieving families. While we realize and respect that not everyone wishes to be an organ donor, we ask that everyone makes an informed decision. And if you chose to be a donor, sign up on an organ donation registry. For more information on organ donation, visit donatelife.net.
And thank you to everyone in Lily's life who has already made and acted on their decision.
3. Support awareness of any medical condition affecting children. Lily remains, for the most part, undiagnosed. But she has many friends who are diagnosed who want to get their stories out there. Help the world change for good, help keep the public aware of these conditions, and help create a world that welcomes children of all abilities and with any condition.
Miracle friends, if you have a link you'd like added to this, please let us know. It can be a site for awareness run by an organization or a family's blog detailing their journey with a medical miracle (and angels are welcome too). For personal blogs, we do ask that you have permission to share if the blog isn't yours.
4. Do a kind deed for another person. Whether it's helping someone out to their car at the store, making your husband's favorite dinner even though you don't like it, or letting your kids get away with something they would normally be in trouble for doing, just do something nice. Doing multiple nice things is a major plus.
5. Donate to something. Anything will work, whether it is a cause for Lily and her friends, the Ronald McDonald House coin collecting at McDonald's, the teenager trying to make it on a mission trip, or the person asking for change who can't afford to do something they need. Donate free of judgment to something and give a huge karma boost to the world by choosing humanity over money. It doesn't matter if it is a single penny or $500,000. Just consider it.
And, since time is money.... donating time as a volunteer would count for this too. Taking the time to deliver Meals on Wheels, clean up your community, fill a volunteer role at your local hospital, or even just taking a meal to a friend having a hard day shows so much compassion. Lily likes compassion.
6. Cherish your family and friends. Hold your children close. Call long distance family. Let the people you love know that you love them. Because tomorrow isn't a promise and today is a gift. Live in the moment and cherish it all.